Closing Costs Calculator
What are closing costs & how much will I pay? The Mortgage Closing Costs Calculator helps you understand cost components & the approximate fees that will be due when you close your home loan.
Many people focus only on interest rates when shopping for a mortgage or refinance deal. But it's important to consider all the closing costs that will be associated with your home loan. The Closing Costs Calculator can help you compare all the fees you'll need to pay to obtain a mortgage.
What Are Closing Costs?
At closing, you'll have certain fees to pay for the privilege of buying a home or getting a mortgage. Some are customarily paid by the buyer, some by the seller, and some are split. Of course, if you're refinancing, there's no seller to split the costs of your loan with.
What Are Recurring Costs?
In addition to paying on the principal and interest every month, you'll have other fixed monthly payments. Those recurring costs include:
- Property taxes, which are paid to your local government. Depending upon where you live this can add significantly to your monthly payments. Property tax is not charged by the lender; it's just a cost of owning a home.
- Hazard insurance, which covers fire, theft, and damage. Flood insurance and other policies may be issued separately.Like property taxes, hazard insurance isn't a lender's charge, but it may be collected by the lender in your monthly payment.
- Private mortgage insurance (PMI) is required if your down payment is less than 20% of the property value or sales price.
What Are Non-Recurring Costs?
Some fees will only be paid at closing. A mortgage calculator can help you estimate these costs, but keep in mind that some of them may change by the time you close on your home. Non-recurring costs include:
- Loan origination fee to cover to costs of originating, processing, and closing on a mortgage
- Discount points, which can be used to lower the interest rate
- Recording fee to report a property sale into the public record
- Credit report fees
- Appraisal fees to determine the market value of the property
- Notary fees to make sure all the mortgage documents are prepared properly
- Title insurance, which protects you and the lender against legal defects related to the property.
- Escrow fees to third parties who hold and disburse all funds at closing.
- Document preparation fees may be charged by lenders to cover the cost of preparing loan documents.
For some people, going into a closing can be scary because of all the paperwork and confusing legal jargon on real estate documents. Other non-recurring fees that you can put into the Closing Costs Calculator include those for:
- Property inspection
- Attorney services
- Tax services
- Surveys of the property
- Homeowner association (HOA) transfer
- Miscellaneous fees for things such as couriers and underwriting.
Our Loan Comparison Calculator can help you compare mortgage deals and lenders' fees. Keep in mind that some of your closing costs may be negotiable. You may even be able to get the seller or lender to cover some of your closing costs. Begin to compare loan offers from our network of lenders competing to offer you the lowest costs. It's free and there's absolutely no obligation to get up to four free quotes customized just for you!
Get Free Mortgage Quotes
Recent Mortgage News
- Poor jobs report dampens economy, reveals silver lining for borrowers
- Budget deal leaves mortgage rates stable -- for now
- Mortgage rates caught in the crossfire of the fiscal showdown in Washington
- Shutdown squeeze play may cause mortgage fallout
- Latest figures reveal uptick in refinancing activity
- Will the latest Fed meeting be a turning point for mortgage rates?
- Mortgage rates level off as job growth fades
- Don't be lulled by mortgage rate stability
- Economic growth sparks more than higher rates
Today's Best Mortgage Rates
15 Year Fixed
30 Year Fixed
Put the Mortgage Loan Closing Costs Calculator on your website for Free!
This is a free service for consumers, researchers, and real estate and mortgage professionals. Give your readers the added value of our easy to use mortgage calculators for free!
Please note that modifying the code above will disable the calculator.
Additional color options are available.
Customize your mortgage calculators here.